Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Fudge Supreme Cake Balls

These little mouthfuls are so delicious. I found the basic recipe at Allrecipes, but it didn't have clear instructions.
1 box Duncan Hines Moist Deluxe Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix ( prepared as directed on the package)
1 Can Duncan Hines Creamy Homestyle Dark Chocolate Fudge Frosting
1 1/2 packages Plymouth Pantry Make Your Own Almond Bark Chocolate Flavored Coating ( I found this at Walmarts
Candy Sprinkle (optional)


Bake your cake according to package directions. Let cake cool. I was in a hurry so I put mine in the refrigerator for a few hours.


Crumble your cake directly from the cake pan to a large bowl. I used a fork and just shredded it, into the bowl.
Add your frosting and mix well. You don't need a mixer, just use the same fork and it will blend easily.


Some people say to chill at this point but I didn't need to. I used my small cookie scoop and popped a scoop into my palms and rolled into a firm ball. One batch filled 1 and 1/2 cookie sheets. Put the cookie sheet with your cake balls into the freezer. I put one batch in for 30 minutes and the next batch in for 45 minutes. It didn't make much difference.

Melt your Coating in the microwave on defrost for 2 minutes, then stir and return for another 2 minutes on defrost. Stir again until all chucks are melted. I used a 2 Cup measuring cup with 6 Squares in it. It took 3 batches to cover all the balls.

I used a fork to duck my cake balls, tapping it on my measuring cup to catch the drips. Put these on wax paper by flipping your fork, and using it to seal the top.

The Cake Balls set up very quickly, I think they are much better the next day. I notice a few crumbs getting into the coating, but the red looked very pretty. For the holidays I would probably drizzle some melted white chocolate over the tops.

1 comment:

Faith said...

Hi Barbara. long time no talk....
what's been going on with you?

These cake ball things....intriguing....have to try some soon...Bake cake, add frosting and put into balls? Ingenius...